Sylvia Banderas Coffinet from Mexico (Class of 2000)

Before & After

Sylvia is currently the Executive Beauty & Fashion Director at People en Espanol magazine based in NYC. 

How Southwestern Academy helped her achieve to where she is now: "Southwestern hires exceptional, caring, and talented teachers that made every effort to nurture my individual needs as a student. I never felt there was a general program because my teachers worked very hard to meet my specific needs as a student. For example, when I needed a little extra help in math, Mr. Herbst was always there to tutor and me and when I was reading ahead in my Literature classes, Mr. Pierpoint made time to sit with me after class and go over additional books we would select together. The special attention that I received helped me get ahead and go at a pace that was truly my own."

Her fondest memory: "Camping trips with Mr. Pierpoint and Mr. Herbst were always very special. My favorite by far was the trip to Anza Borrego State Park. The group night hikes were magical; I have never seen so many stars in my entire life. During the day we hiked and explored the vast landscape and learned about the many variety of cacti and wildflowers. I always learned so much on those trips as my teachers always knew how to turn the experience into a living classroom."


Popular Posts